All About Wales
Dafydd Morse kindly joined me on the show this week to introduce us to Wales – his home country on the west side of Britain. I feel like the Welsh culture (people, language, etc.) is often overlooked on a global scale, and perhaps some of you are hearing about it for the first time today! Whether that’s true, or you know a bit already, I’m sure you’ll enjoy what Dafydd has to say in this episode.
- 0:00 – Intro
- 3:23 – About Dafydd
- 4:57 – Why is Wales less popular than Scotland?
- 6:42 – The Fluent Show
- 9:11 – Is Wales a Country?
- 14:05 – British? Welsh? English??
- 18:45 – The Welsh Language
- 22:20 – Welsh Phrases
- 26:22 – How many people speak Welsh?
- 27:46 – Is Welsh growing or shrinking?
- 32:15 – Wales Travel Tips
- 36:43 – Does Wales look different to England?
- 42:43 – Should you greet people in Welsh?
- 46:16 – Where to find Dafydd
Where to Find Dafydd
Vocabulary & Expressions
- To butcher (03:38) – To mispronounce something really badly
- To shed light on something (04:39) – To bring more attention to something
- Entity (10:06) – Something with independent existence
- Sovereign (10:12) – A nation acting independently (without anyone else giving them rules)
- Devolved (11:04) – Power transferred to a lower level from a central government (ie. Westminster to Wales)
- Contrary (12:22) – Opposite to
- Evident (13:40) – Obvious, clear
- Through and through (14:26) – in every aspect; thoroughly or completely
- To opt for (16:11) – To choose one thing over another thing (one option)
- To delve (deep) (17:36) – To explore a topic in detail
- To strike oneself as… (18:05) – To cause someone to think about something in a particular way
- Sheer (18:10) – A large number (used for emphasis)
- Incomprehensible (22:11) – Unable to be understood
- What have you (26:51) – Things like that (at the end of a sentence)
- Census (27:38) –an official count or survey, especially of a population
- Dwindling (28:37) –gradually diminishing in size, amount, or strength
- Bursting at the seams (28:40) –(of a place) full to overflowing.
- To gear up (31:39) – To prepare
- Barren (37:13) – Empty with no life
- To make a living (37:30) – To make money to survive
- I can’t put my finger on it (38:42) – I can’t say exactly why because I’m not sure why
- Rugged (39:31) – having a broken, rocky, and uneven surface
- Animosity (41:32) – strong hostility