The Intermediate Plateau
The intermediate plateau is a term used to describe a period somewhere between Beginner and Advanced levels in language learning where it feels like progress has stopped. No matter how much you study, it feels like you never improve.
In this episode, I talk about why this might happen, some tips on how to move up to the advanced levels, and about my personal experience with this too.
- Don’t give up hope! It’s normal
- Increase the time you spend studying
- Change your method and routine
- Evaluate what you’re doing (is it effective?)
- Consider your weak areas
- Are you focused or getting distracted?
- Reevaluate your goals for learning
- Make your routine fun!
- Remember that progress jumps up inconsistently
- If you’re comfortable, make it harder, just exercising at the gym
- Find a way to enjoy the language again and get really curious about it
- Speak with someone from the country
What got you here, won’t get you there