Making Phone Calls
We’ll be talking today about making phone calls in English, including tips on being confident and doing it successfully, as well as some useful expressions that we all use on the phone.
Even if you don’t regularly make calls, I think this will be a useful episode for everyone.
- Can I ask who is calling? – Who is this?
- Hello, I’m calling to ask / enquire about…
- I’m sorry I’m having trouble hearing you (bad connection)
- Would it be possible to…?
- I’ll get back to you. – I will call you back
- Sorry, the line is bad. You’re breaking up. – The phone connection is bad
- Can I call you back? – I will call you again later
- Michael speaking. How can I help? – This is Michael
- I’m phoning in regards to… – I’m phone about…
- I’m phoning on behalf of + name – I’m phoning for another person
- Please hold – Wait on the phone
- I’ll put you through now (to the right department) / I’ll transfer you now
- Please stay on the line – Don’t hang up