Have Realistic Expectations
In this episode, I discuss the difference between expectations and goals, and how you can use them to avoid frustration when it comes to learning English.
Takeaways from this Episode
- Don’t expect too much from yourself. It’s easy to think about “I should be better” or “I should be fluent by now” but we all have our own language learning journey and we should enjoy the process.
- Avoid comparing yourself to other people
- Compare yourself to the past version of yourself (You have come so far!)
- Compare yourself to the future version of yourself (Are you on track to becoming that person?)
- Focus on the fun. Not where you think you ‘should’ be.
This graph (expertly drawn by me) shows how our expectations can grow much faster than our actual skill level. It’s important to notice that the skill is still improving, so focus on the red line and be happy about it.
Try to keep realistic expectations and focus on your goal. The best environment for language learning is when the blue and red lines can increase at the same rate.
TLDR (Too long didn’t read):
Have high goals and realistic expectations.
Join Level Up English
Sign up to Level Up English to access online courses and join our global learning community.Sign Up