Reading is one of the most important areas of language study, and so in this episode, I’m going to discuss my recommended books to read and good methods to study them with.
- Basically, any book you find enjoyable
- 90%+ comprehension is good – If you understand less than 90%, it will be quite tedious and demotivating.
- Graded readers – Books made for learners with appropriate vocabulary and grammar structures (try searching “Graded reader” on Amazon)
- Avoid children’s books – They often use words for children that adults don’t use.
- Young adult / teenage books may be suitable for higher-level learners
- Olly Richard’s English Short Stories is a great book for language learners
- Harry Potter is a popular choice for learners, if that interests you!
- Read twice: first to enjoy the story, then again to look at vocabulary closer
- Don’t worry about every word you come across, only repeated words
- Focus on the wins (“Wow, I read that whole sentence / paragraph“)
- Try retelling a story you read to your teacher or language partner