Learn with TV
Elfin is an Italian coach and passionate Italophile who helps students learn and gain access to the culture through language. She specialises in learning through TV shows and has a lot of good advice in this area. She also hosts language immersion retreats and hosts her own podcast.
2:35 – Elfin’s Name
3:50 – Introduction
8:53 – How did Elfin get to a high level of English
12:01 – Elfin’s language immersion retreats & immersion in language
19:44 – Learning with TV shows
28:13 – Specific methods for learning with TV shows
36:39 – What’s your favourite TV series?
41:47 – Elfin’s embarrassing language moments
46:20 – Where to find Elfin
Vocabulary & Expressions
- Eavesdrop – to listen to a conversation that you are not a part of
- Guilty pleasure – something you love to do even though it’s a little bad in some way
- To sink your teeth into something – To become completely involved in something
- To dabble in something – to try a little bit of something for a short period
- To get fired up about something – To get energy, passion and excitement about something
- To go down a rabbit hole – begin learning or researching something and get lost in the topic for a while
Vikings – TV series about the vikings
Ragnarock – Norweigian TV series
The Peep Show – British comedy show
The Office – British comedy show
Where to Find Elfin
Favourite Quotes from Elfin
Even if you take one word out of a TV show, you’ve still won.
If you’re passionate about it, you never have to worry about losing motivation because it’s part of your lifestyle.
Language learning must not be a chore
We should embrace mistakes
Join Level Up English
Sign up to Level Up English to access online courses and join our global learning community.Sign Up