How to Improve Reading
- Read anything you enjoy
- Consider avoiding newspapers (Do you read them in your own language?)
- Probably avoid children’s books
- Consider graded readers (I’m slowly adding these resources to Level Up English) – You can also find them on Amazon
- Non-fiction is often easier (I find it more interesting too)
- Find a good source of blogs that interest you (eg. Blogs on gardening)
- Non-fiction is also easier to talk about with friends and teachers and perhaps more useful
- If you understand less than 95% of the book, it may be too difficult.
- Get comfortable not knowing the meaning of every word
- Consider getting the Audio Book to go along with the text.
One Reading Method
- Read a text through at a natural speed and see how much you can understand
- Read it once again and note and study any new vocabulary
- Read it a final time after having learnt the vocabulary, now you should understand everything